Friday, May 15, 2009

Reflections

We have not written much about the orphanage and I thought that a few reflections would be helpful and quite frankly cathartic for me. I have visited orphanages in many places around the world and for many years have been active in loving and advocating for children, but this experience is much different. Take Martha for instance, Martha has a twin sister by the name of Grace. They are 8 years old and will turn 9 in four days. Martha is the one who always has a bandana on her head and a smile on her face. Because she is so energetic and spunky, Mac immediately liked her and she liked him (Mac liked her in one way, but we think she in another). In fact, I have overheard the children chanting: Martha will you marry Mac (over and over while giggling).

Martha and her sister have been here at GSF for most of their lives. They have a mom and I think they even know who the dad is, but I believe the story is that they would be available for adoption if this were an option – they are not wanted or they simply cannot be taken care of by their relatives (any takers?). If you were to tell me that these two girls were orphans and I did not already know, then I would not believe it. They are so happy, full of life, full of energy, full of intelligence, and full of joy – they are not “poor” in most senses of the word. They mostly wear the same clothes, but no one ever notices. They eat the same foods daily, but they rarely complain. They do house chores, mostly without grumbling and they live with a mother. But therein is the biggest difference – indeed they live with a mother, but the mother they live with is a “house mother” and no father.

After the playground games, the flirting, and the collecting of bugs, our family retreats to the guest house and Martha, and her sister Grace, go into their house with a wonderful lady who is taking care of a whole house full of kids, for little pay, and they begin their nightly routine of getting supper ready, baths, chores, and devotions. This is bittersweet really. The life they are getting here is much better than what they would be getting in the village and GSF is making a huge difference in their lives - but they deserve a mom and a dad. GSF is giving them everything they can and doing a darn good job of it I must say, but what they cannot give them is what every orphanage longs for - one mom and one dad dedicated to loving and doting over them individually, nurturing and caring for them because they want to. They are certainly loved for sure, but where is mom and where is dad? When you reduce the 50 million orphans to a face and a person named Martha who has a sister named Grace – it is very different, and I want to pack them up in my suitcase and give them not a home because they have a good one, but their own mom and dad! They don’t even have to stay in the USA forever, just let me love them and pour into them until they are out of college.
I would raise all 50 million if I could because each one has a name, has a face, and has the longing to be loved and to feel special. Am I doing enough? What else am I called to do as part of bringing God’s kingdom to bare in the here and now of 2009 Uganda, Africa? In 10 years, Mary and Grace will have to leave GSF and go to what?

2 comments:

  1. Jimmy - I hope we at 5:14 can help in some really tangible way - I'm praying for you all and Ashley just keeps saying - I wish I were there...who knows maybe we need to plan a 5:14 Mission trip to Uganda - you never know who might go :) Love to all, Connie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heyy Jimmy, Gayla, Leia, Mac, Boe, and Zuri!!
    I dont know if you remember me but Im your 1st and 2nd cusin, Katelyn Melton. My mom, Kathy, Showed me your blog and I have been attached to it ever since! I am so excited just to know that I will have another little cusin, let alone one from Arica! Africa is one of the places that I have been wanted to go to for mission trips along with Honduras, Ireland, and Jerusalem:) You all have given me a taste of where I want to go and the experiences that are waiting. I have almost read all of your blogs and I am amazed at what all of y'all have seen and gone through. I can say that God is using you all just through this one trip and this little girl:) I really think that I want to go to Uganda, Africa! Thank you for sharing your journy with us while also giving me a glimps of Gods great creation of another country and I just want y'all to know that I am praying for you all and I wish you the best!
    Love you all and God Bless,
    Katelyn Melton

    ReplyDelete