Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Our first speed bump

5:00 p.m. here and we are back at GSF. We went to court today at 9:00 a.m. and was really hoping for a quick ruling so that we could speed this adoption along, BUT that would not be the path that the Renslow’s would take today. As it turns out, custody for Mary was given over to Carolyn Jacobsen specifically and not to Good Shepherds Fold in general – a fact our attorney was well aware of, but neglected to give specific instructions for Carolyn to be in attendance. He assumed that Carolyn would be there at the hearing, but never told her that she had to be. Therefore, the judge wanted to know where the legal guardian was (this Carolyn person). She was two hours away that’s where she was! So, the judge was visibly frustrated with our attorney, but our attorney was able to persuade the judge to see us again on Monday at 9:00 a.m. instead of Wednesday at 9:00 a.m. I totally understand where the judge is coming from and do not blame him at all. Our lawyer says that the rules keep changing and you never know what they are going to ask for. So, that means that we are traveling back to Kampala on Saturday to “the surgery” (hospital) to get Zuri checked out (this is part of the process) and then back again on Monday. Furthermore, we talked to the US Embassy and the person there (Nathan) was very little help over the phone and was completely swamped. He said that it would be very unlikely to speed things up as they are very busy. So, we may have decisions to make as to how long certain people stay and such – so…we wait again. On a positive note, we did get Zuri’s passport pictures made and they are the cutest pictures you could possibly imagine.

3 comments:

  1. So glad to get an update even if it was not the outcome I had prayed for. I keep reminding myself that God is in control and has done so many incredible things on this journey for you guys. We will continue to lift you up in prayer. Will you get the same judge next week? Know you are in our thoughts constantly! Love - Connie

    ReplyDelete
  2. when i read your post about praying at 1 am I didn't think I would actually be awake for that because I have to sleep through that hour normally so I can teach small children. However, we had a softball injury (broken nose) so we were in the ER until 1 am. I don't think I prayed at 1 but I did think of you while we were waiting and prayed for you a little early! I'm sorry things didn't go perfectly. We will continue to be praying for the process. Continue to have fun getting to know Zuri!!--Stacey (and Lee)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jimmy and Gayla, just from the short time I spent in Uganda I understand your frustration with UGANDAN time. Know we are lifting you and your family up and asking God to surround you with his angels. I know Zuri will be a total blessing in your lives. Total sidenote - have you seen the monkeys yet?

    ReplyDelete