Wednesday, June 3, 2009

When God's kingdom collides with earth

There are literally millions of babies who look like Zuri did when she came to Good Shepherds Fold, but most do not have the opportunity to be loved in the way that she was. I am not talking about the Renslow's, but by the staff here at G.S.F. She came terribly malnourished and vulnerable, but these people (Claudia (and her girls), the Gwartney's and the Jacobesens) poured out God's love emotionally, spiritually and physically, and we see what a difference that has made -their great sacrifices was to the gain of Zuri. I am struck by the fact that love is from God and if I love God like I say I do, then this love will naturally be translated into action (faith without works is dead). I am also convinced that this looks like a million different things for Christians all over the world. We are not all called to adopt, but we are all called to love - and love by its very definition is in motion and in action. So the question is not if I should love, but the question is who and how?

When I answer those questions and begin to love is when I am taking up my role in bringing God's kingdom to bare here on earth. Even typing these very words brings a sense of sadness at how little I actually love others. I am thrilled to lavish love on myself (love being defined by action), but when it comes to loving others I stumble, I pause, I hesitate, or I just refuse....but why? I do know by both experience and by the Scriptures that the deeper I know and love God, the more that love spills over outside of myself and touches the hearts and lives of others and therby God's kingdom of love collides with those living on the kingdom of earth.

Looking at pictures of Zuri as a baby and then after nine months of love is a signpost of what love looks like.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Leia, So I was talking to a faculty member at Caldwell the other day. I started telling her about you guys and what you have been going through. She said, 'Thats funny a girl in my dance class is gone now to pick up her sister in Africa.' I knew immediately she had to be talkig about you and she was!!! I guess it is a small world after all!!! She said you were a really good dancer :) Oh we had a terrible storm last night. The dogs went crazy. They were running through the house being wild. It was funny how they both reacted to the thunder. They were worn out after the storm passed. When I went to say good night to Max and Andrew I turned around and there stood Hannah. Maybe she was afraid the storm would come back. So, both Max and Hannah slept in Andrew's room last night:) It was a little smelly in there this morning. I love you, Mrs. Schultz

    ReplyDelete