Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Trip into town

One of the things I hope not to take for granted is being able to "go to town" easily. Every trip has to be planned and if you go into town , it is always courteous to call and see if anyone needs anything. We had hoped to go to Kampala today and get her passport but as you know, this has been postponed until Thursday. I was looking forward to going not just for the passport but to go to the grocery store (and Kampala is about 2 hours away). Jinja has grocery stores but they are very small and don't have many items. These grocery stores are about the size of a gas station and have everything from food to cleaning items so you can imagine there is not much selection. The grocery store in Kampala is more like what we are used to so it is a treat. It is funny to say a treat because I have learned to see things differently. Compared to our grocery stores, they don't have much...So much of the things they make have to be homemade because they don't use preservatives. We are out of groceries and I wanted to get a few meals that we could make on the days we are at GSF so I plan to make spaghetti and chili. These are two of the easiest meals in America that you can make in about 30 minutes. Here, I have to make it from scratch, boiling the tomatoes and blending them to make sauce. I am looking forward to making it because I haven't had the chance to cook much else than what I brought--- which has been tuna helper, mac and cheese, soups and whatever I could think of to mix with ground beef. The first thing I think we all want when we get back to the states is a huge salad! We decided it was too much to worry about if we were cleaning the vegetables enough to not get sick off them so we just decided to eat carbs for 5 weeks. Before I left , I wasn't eating breads and pasta and rice, mostly vegetables....here I've eaten only carbs and meat it seems!

We went to town with Mark and Amy Gwartney, and their kids, and Maggie, Claudia's daughter. They have been here a year now, originally from Virginia. When we went to get into the van they GSF uses they said, "we have to warn you, it usually has roaches!" Can honestly say I've been told many things, like sorry about the cheerios in the seat but never roaches! As soon as we got in, Leia saw one run over her seat right before she sat down!! We didn't see anymore that trip. Honestly though, after you ride 30 minutes over pot holes and in the bush with everyone walking for miles beside you, you feel blessed just to have transportation, and the roaches don't seem as bad.

We laughed riding back from getting groceries....Jimmy and I had to carry the eggs (30 each) in plastic grocery bags on our lap. No cartons, just the eggs in a bag. We were afraid if we put them on the floor of the van, they would all be cracked when we got home so we cuddled them like hens in our lap.

Thanks for your prayers for Thursday. I do know the Lord is with us and isn't surprised by all this. I feel my energy has gone into trusting the Lord if He has us staying longer instead of concentrating on praying it get done quickly. I do want to come home together on Tuesday though so if all of you reading this could be prayer warriors for us we would appreciate it. It can happen I'm just trying to not be disappointed....and trust the Lord during each hurdle.
Sandra, thanks for the note from Hanna. I wished I told you on the phone today, but remembered when we got off. It was laughter to our souls! We felt like she was talking to us! I guess I've done enough rambling! If anyone has contact with Danny Worm, please tell him we are thinking about him tonight as we are watching Ratatouille on Jimmy's computer and wishing he were here! (he doesn't have a computer and we're not sure he is getting to follow the blog).
We love and miss you all so very much!! Gayla

5 comments:

  1. I'm so touched with each of your postings. I think of you each time I get in my car going from here to there with the air conditioner keeping me cool and the roads are smooth. I think of you when I run in the store to pick up one item. I am praying for you all - I hope you feel our love and prayers. Love to all - connie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for all the updates. It seems like Jack and I frequently ask each other whether we've read "today's post". Ya'll are getting to be more popular than the newspaper! Please know that you are very much in our thoughts and prayers and we're standing with you every step of the way. Can't wait to see all of you! Much love - Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Boe, its been a long time since i've seen you, and i can't wait for you to get back.So, i was watching the discovery channel and i saw a new episode for man versus wild. And it aws a special because Bear Grills was taking Will Ferrel on his next trip.It looks hilarious. i will record it so that you can watch it. And i also think you haven't saw who won American Idol, so i can't wait for you to see the finale, its awesome. I'll be at the airport when you come back,your friend-Joe May

    ReplyDelete
  4. Praying that God would move in a mighty way and that all of your remaining paperwork would be approved immediately and that He would bring you all home together soon! Can't wait to hear that you are all heading home!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey friends - It's 2:00 AM and I'm having a bit of a sleepless night. So after reading a bit I decided to check the blog - no updates but I felt the need to share something I just read with you. When I read it I thought it was God just speaking to me and I was encouraged (although feeling a little sleep deprived). The writing is refering to the 23rd Psalm. "Are you in the middle of a dark valley? It may look dark and gloomy right now, but please remember that God does not intend for you to stay in those shadows. The valley he has led you into is the same valley out of which he will lead you. You will, by his grace, go through it. There is, thanks to the Shepherd, a smile on the other side." I'm praying for you guys today as you wait. Waiting is so hard but take comfort in fact you are loved by friends but greater than that you have a Shepherd who is leading your journey even though it may be a winding road at times. Love to all - Connie

    ReplyDelete