Saturday, June 13, 2009

A New Beginning


"Coming alive" are the words that come to mind when I think about this adjustment period that we have been living for the past few days. Zuri is blossoming. She is happy and full of zeal and personality. She loves the big dog and has even been incredibly tolerant of all of the foreign strappings (car seat, high chair, buggies - come on where is her freedom?). Sure she wakes up at 4:30 each morning and that means that Gayla and I are both awake from then on (we are not as young as we used to be and cannot just fall back asleep), but in many ways we have come alive as well - our hearts are full. It is incredible how our hearts have opened up space for Zuri and she is our daughter and she is admired and cherished and loved just like our biological children. We are trying not to spoil her rotten, but we feel like grandparents in many ways because we are looking on her with different eyes as we did the first three - is a little bit of Oreo really going to hurt her and her little fits are more cute than we would have tolerated with our first three. Parenting almost a decade after the last baby has been much more fulfilling than it has been challenging - sure it has been tiring (I am writing this entry before six on a Saturday as I watch Zuri sleep in my bed), but what we have gained has far outweighed what we have given. You may think that this is impossible as I once did. I looked upon it from rational business eyes and could not comprehend how there would be a net gain, well boy was I wrong with my calculations. What we have "given up" is silly compared to what we have been given in exchange for a little comfort, money, and time. When it came down to the decision to adopt I felt like Jesus asked me why I would not adopt, and the honest answer was that I was scared and I was comfortable. So, I was forced to answer the question "is that enough to stop me from walking this road?" As is the case with Jesus, we stepped out just a little and God has completely astounded us with showers of love that surpasses all adjectives that I could try to throw at you - it is deeper than words.

In other news...My mom and sister left on Friday and Gayla's parents are here and we are enjoying family time. What you can look for it the next few days will be video of the airport arrival, pictures of Zuri's new life and discoveries in the USA, and our experience meeting the young lady who literally saved Zuri's life. Thank you to all of you for keeping us in your prayers and for your practical steps of love. You can feel free to come and see us too:)

Here is Zuri talking to Claudia on the phone before we left Uganda. and here is Leia with her Ugandan sisters

2 comments:

  1. love these pictures! so excited for yall!!!! praying for a continued smooth adjustment for you all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Man I thoroughly enjoyed reading all of these. Im starting to understand more of why you decided to adopt and the mindset behind that. See before you left, honestly I didn't get it. So much sacrifice and so many obstacles had to be encountered to make this happen, it was hard for me to see that the gain from this experience would be worth it, but you knew the whole time and I think I'm starting to see what you saw from the beginning. Not that I don't understand why someone would want to adopt a child in need from another country, but you already had a wonderful family so it was confusing at first. I hope this makes sense haha. Man I can't wait to meet her! What an absolutely wonderful addition to the Renslow family!

    ReplyDelete