Saturday, August 6, 2011


                  Boe writing….

First of all, what an experience this has all been.  What started out as a what if, or man wouldn’t it be amazing if scenario has turned into one of the most life-changing experiences a fifteen-year old can go through.  It is not possible to spend time in a country like this and not come home as a different person. Throughout these two short months I have seen some of the most beautiful sights this earth has to offer, the waterfalls on the Sipi River and the Nat. Geo. worthy plains of Murchison Falls have a feel like God could reside right around the corner.  These places have a magical and holy feel to them but when you look right around the corner, you find people saying goodbye to loved ones who are dieing from preventable and stupid reasons.  It’s easy to avoid eye contact with a bearded man who roams the sidewalks of Lee Street. What’s not as easy is trying to ignore a child who clings to your arm and pleads for just some scraps from your meal because his parents don’t have enough money to buy him food for himself. I have been forced to look into those eyes and apologize because I can’t (or not willing to) cure his hunger.  There are two sides of this beautiful continent, you just have to decide if you are going to hide or if you will take your blinders off and face the reality that, I can help.  For the past month I have traveled into town and walked the streets of Jinja, I can pick out the kids who sit there day after day pleading for some food from the Mzugus (white people).  Can I walk around with a bag of Shillings and bread and pass it out at random? No, I can’t, but is it worse than just ignoring them altogether?  This is the Dilemma that I, and many others face daily.  I have loved every minute of our trip here, these moments though make me think, wouldn’t it be easier to avoid and hide inside my comfortable home back stateside.  This is necessary though if you really want to understand how comfortable and spoiled we are.  Every thanksgiving I make my little list of things that I have been blessed with this year, never though, have I ever thought about comparing that to one of these children that I have become accustomed to these last few weeks.  I hope that my thank-you list comes with the thoughts of these precious boys and girls who spend their days sitting under the tree in the sidewalk, waiting for the tourist traffic.  Now does this describe the whole country or all of my experiences? No, not at all, in fact the beauty of these people far outweighs the ones who rely on people like me for their survival.  These people are absolutely fabulous; everyone who visits is overwhelmed by the friendly and hospitable vibe that Ugandans give off.  If people in America could copy the attitude of Ugandans, I know that this world would be such a better place.  This is a place where everyone stops to talk as they pass each other in the streets, who come over just for afternoon tea, and are just more all around friendly and open.  As westerners we seem to hide in our own world and only admit people who have to gain your complete trust, here people want to help and help you enjoy your time here.  I get asked every day “How do you like Uganda?” and my answer is… “I wish I lived here, I just can’t get over how beautiful it is.”  Many people would ask, “Why would you live over there when you such a wonderful life here?” and I would answer, “ Well why don’t you just take a visit, to the pearl of Africa, then you can understand why I want to stay.”  Do I miss my PS3, clean water, Direct TV, friends, Ice Cream, Air-Conditioning, Papa Johns, and cleanliness? Yes, I do, tons actually, although I know that as soon as I get home I’m going to miss getting up to looking out to Lake Victoria and the Nile River, going over to Ozzie’s for a famous Ozzie burger and Mirinda Fruity to drink, and the great friendships that have developed over these two months.  These could have been the quickest two months I can remember.  Not only will I come home as a different person but I’ll also have another younger sibling.  If I had the option to stay longer, I would take it in a heartbeat but at the same time I keep seeing things that remind me of home and I get exited all over again.  There’s no doubt I am a different person completely than I was two months ago. It’s easier to be a Christian on this half of the world, the attractive teenager count so far is at one (and at this point I don’t have the toughest requirements), the amount of people I can compete with for popularity I can count on my left hand and the people who attempt to dismantle your faith or question it are few.  I may not have developed my left hand passing (Lacrosse) as much as I had planned but what I didn’t plan for is to be a more mature, aware and experienced man of God.  What a wonderful country and experience this has all been, and it has totally flipped my American culture and lifestyle around.  God has truly blessed us with this opportunity an experience, and for that we can’t thank the Him and the friends involved in helping enough. 

Thanks for reading(:,
Boe Renslow


3 comments:

  1. Boe, I loved reading your post today, especially the idea that God could be around the corner. Beautiful. I can't wait to see all of you and meet our newest little one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing your heart,Boe. I am so thankful that God has used this awesome experience to teach you so much! Someday a lucky girl is going to be so blessed and thankful that you has this experience!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Boe - I've never been so moved by the writings of a 15 year old in my life! The Lord has done great things in you and in your family and I can't wait to see you all and hear more face to face. I believe with change like this - you will never be the same . . . and although we love the "old Boe" - can't wait to see what the Lord has in store for the "new Boe" and the Renslow family!

    ReplyDelete