Thursday, June 30, 2011

Observing Faithfulness


For all you blog followers, this is Gayla now…  Last night, as I was reflecting on our time here, I knew I had to get some things down in writing.  When we were here two years ago, our purpose was to get to know Zuri, go to court, and do everything in our power to get home without changing plane tickets.  We felt like we already knew Zuri before we came and the transition was very easy. I had packed so much food that we just ate processed for the whole five weeks practically for fear of getting a parasite.  This time, I packed lightly and have been experimenting more even venturing out to fruits and vegetables!  I lived in fear two years ago worrying about everything that went across our tongues.  It has been refreshing to enjoy the bounty that this land has to offer.  I love stopping at the side of the road and be accosted by women showing us what they have to sell.  They are so proud of what they have grown J  Last night I had the best pineapple I had ever put in my mouth!  Lunches are hard.  You really have to cook that too because the bread here always seems stale.  It seems I am always in the kitchen .  Tonight, Leia wants to be in charge and she is making spaghetti (which is not easy like in the US) and making a cake.   I looked out the kitchen window this morning to see a mound that looked like it was fluttering or moving.  What was fluttering was actually big ants with bigger wings.  They collect them and take the wings off and fry them up.  The kids love them.  Two years ago, I turned them down not intending to ever try a fried ant.  But today, when Leia came to me with one, I just decided what will it hurt, and told her if she ate half, I would eat the other half (yes they were big enough to half J).  It didn’t really have a taste but just knowing what I was eating was enough to never crave another.  The boys both ate one too (you can be assured that will be their next facebook comment!)

My heart is full of the Lord’s faithfulness.  We have been staying at the Greer’s place which is right next door to Claudia’s (who is the missionary who is taking care of Zeke).  Her kids have all gotten Malaria in the last week, and we have had Charlie Zeke staying with us.  This has actually been wonderful because the bonds have woven tighter both ways.  He has blossomed both from getting to know us, and feeling better after his surgery.  He is pure delight.  This in itself is an answer to prayer because the connection has taken more time than it did with Zuri.  It is like experiencing a miracle to feel love well up for someone who is going to become your child.  It boggles by mind to watch it happen to our family with each encounter.  To see one of our kids making him laugh or cuddling with him.  I really can’t put it into words.  I will admit I didn’t have the feelings when I first met him and had to depend on the Lord and trust Him and his leading.  We believed that the Lord placed him in our path and we were to pursue him.   I am overwhelmed with greatfulness that our whole family has had the opportunity to experience this love before the court date.  What a caring God we serve.  My heart is full….that is my phrase I claim at one time or another each day…….Now, to trust his timing for a court date---He has answered so many of our needs, over and abundantly, I am excited to see what He has up his sleeve J                        

2 comments:

  1. What joy to not only know your heart is full, but to rejoice with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The song that came to my mind when I read your last post, Gayla, was "Great is thy Faithfulness!" All your family has needed He has provided and will continue to do so - including falling in love with Zeke and his court date! How Great is our God! Thanks for keeping us in the loop so we can rejoice with you and know how to pray.

    ReplyDelete